Looking Up: A Report on the State of Canada’s Space Sector
Prepared by: David Macdonald
Date: 5 May 2009
- Generally, analysts, industry leaders and experts are cautiously optimistic about the state of the space sector in Canada, given the increased focus of the federal government on space over the past year.
- The $110 million increase in funding for the Canadian Space Agency in Budget 2009 is positive, but the new spending does not alter long-term funding concerns.
- The space sector may be affected by the economic downturn, although prospects for 2009 are generally favourable.
- Anticipation is high for the forthcoming CSA strategic plan.
- Industry tends to support a continued “niche” approach to space technology, while others favour more high-profile projects.
- Some stakeholders still see the need for an overarching space policy, although it may be out of reach for the moment.
Macdonald, David. Looking Up: A Report on the State of Canada’s Space Sector. Secure World Foundation and the Rideau Institute, May 2009.Read More