Flying High: A Plan to Rebuild Canada’s Space Capabilities
By: David Macdonald
Date: 4 June 2008
There is an urgent need for Canada to take the following actions if we are to create a strong and sustainable space industry in this country:
- Fund the RADARSAT Constellation Mission: Following the recent success of RADARSAT-2, this is a vital next step to preserve relevant technical expertise in Canada.
- Bring in a permanent CSA president: After having three presidents in three years, the Canadian Space Agency needs stability to build its long-term vision.
- Emphasize space in the Industrial and Regional Benefits Policy: Defence contract offsets can be directed to the space sector.
- Negotiate stronger ITAR exemptions for Canadian companies so they can work more closely with American partners.
- Create a Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative space commercialization project.
- Develop a National Space Policy
- Commit to cutting-edge missions.
- Increase GSA funding to the G8 average.
Macdonald, David. Flying High: A Plan to Rebuild Canada’s Space Capabilities. Canadian Auto Workers and the Rideau Institute, June 2008.Read More